Hôtel de la Marine, classified in its entirety as a Historical Monument, is located at 2 rue Royale in Paris in the 8th arrondissement. Its surface is about 12 900m2.
It is currently closed to the public. Starting from the nineteenth century, the hotel has had six major periods dotted with many restoration works of facades, covers and lounges, and architectural and technical facilities for the operation of the offices of La Marine administration:
- Construction between 1758 and 1776 of the l’hôtel du garde-meuble (initial assignment)
- Transformations and refurbishments under Marc-Antoine Thierry of Ville d’Avray, steward of the garde-meuble, from 1783
- The gradual installation of the Ministry of the Navy requiring many divisions, during the revolutionary period,
- Transformations of salons and modifications of their decorations during the 19th century
- The extensions: raising the height of the buildings, the partial purchase of 5, rue Saint-Florentin, the construction of buildings located at the edge of the northern parcel, during the 19th century
- Transformations and adjustments made by the staff of La Marine in the twentieth century
In December 2015, the Staff left the Hôtel de la Marine to join the new site of the Ministry of Defense in Balard. Since then, the Hotel has been assigned to the National Monuments Center which aims to restore and develop the building, to open it to the public in particular.
Key aspects of the project
- Site installations
- Soil disbursement
- Lead removal of office areas
- Provisional security